Laugher yoga is the practice of laughing on purpose for no reason.
Yes-that’s a thing.
I’ve been a certified Laughter Yoga Leader for many years now and the practice of Laughter Yoga is one of my most common requests when I speak on stages and one of the favorite moments of The Clear Path and Better Together Retreats.
And for good reason…Clinical research conducted at Bangalore, India and in the United States has proven that Laughter lowers levels of our stress hormones (epinephrine and cortisol) and when comparing Laughter Yoga Groups to Control Groups, studies showed a 6% reduction in blood pressure and a 28% drop in cortisol levels.
Other Benefits of Laughter Yoga include:
>Release of Endorphins to change your mood within minutes and keep you cheerful the rest of the day
>Brings more oxygen to the body and brain similar to aerobic exercise
>Reduces stress and strengthens the immune system keeping you healthier and allowing you to heal faster
>Causing you to radiate positive energy which attracts friends and increases connection with other people
>Creates a positive mental state to deal with negative situations and negative people
>Gives you hope and optimism to cope with difficult time.
I see this happen all the time and especially in 2014, when I went on a humanitarian trip to Liberia West Africa.
In a county where the civil war had taken out the adults and 45% of the population was 14 years old or younger, the session of Laugher Yoga I led gave hope and optimism to the teacher who serve those disenfranchised young adults.
Since 2010 Dr. Atsumasa Edahiro of Japan, fellow Laughter Yoga teacher, has conducted regular Laughter Yoga sessions for his patients undergoing treatments for Schizophrenia, Dementia, Emotional Disorder, Alcoholism and Insomnia and he’s found that almost half the patients have shown a significant improvement in their medical condition and have felt more relaxed and calmer after the sessions. People who did not usually come out of their rooms are also attending the sessions and socializing more.
The therapeutic power of laughter ensures a more positive perspective towards life and negates the harmful effects of stress and worry.
Laughter Yoga clubs exist all over the world and many of them are free to join.
Laugher brings people together.
So don’t wait for something funny.
Go to www.laughteryoga.org and find a Laughter Yoga club near you.
As Dr. Kataria, creator of Laugher Yoga would say
We aren’t laughing because we are happy,
we are happy because we laugh!
- Laughter Yoga as Treatment for Mental Illness, Addiction, Dementia & Insomnia - November 30, 2019
- Understanding the Implications of MTHFR Gene Mutation - October 31, 2019
- I Was Cheerleading on the Side of the Interstate - October 30, 2019
- I Could Be Myself for the First Time in My Life - October 24, 2019
- Make Peace with Urgency - October 21, 2019
- Biggest Test of My Beliefs-Ever - October 16, 2019
- 3 Kinds of Thoughts That Stress You out (And Shrink Your Brain) - December 6, 2018
- Is This Weighing down Your Brain? - October 30, 2018
- You’ll Never Find Balance Without This - October 29, 2018
- It Hit Me like a Ton of Bricks and I Had to Do It - October 8, 2018