There are dozens of research studies showing your brain needs SLEEP and your brain needs REST and . . . these are 2 different things.
According to Welcome to the Information Age:
Every day the average person produces six newspapers worth of information compared with just two and a half pages 24 years ago – nearly a 200-fold increase.
Our brains are busier than ever and that’s why it’s essential to clear your mind and take a 10 min break every 90 minutes during your day. I invite you to join me on Mondays at 11 AM Pacific for Breathe Break for Your Brain.
Mary Helen Immordino-Yang of the University of Southern California tells us:
“Downtime is an opportunity for the brain to make sense of what it has recently learned, to surface fundamental unresolved tensions in our lives and to reflection away from the external world toward itself.”
In addition to short breaks through the day, try longer periods of rest like:
- vacation or
- nature walks
As these activities are shown to increase productivity, relish attention, solidify memories, create order and logic while encouraging creativity.
Visual stimulation puts massive pressure on your brain, so try taking a break by closing your eyes.
The longer you work without resting the more certain brain cells heat up and require more fuel to keep functioning. These brain cells then become overactive and can inhibit other cells from making important associations and new links. Without time to release and process insights and breakthrough, your brain becomes fatigued and foggy.
Burce Yankner, a professor of genetics and neurology at Harvard Medical School published a new study finding that REST turns off genes that promote brain cell death and contribute to various pathological features of Alzheimer’s disease, such as amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles. On the flip side, REST activates genes that help neurons respond to stress.
Taking a nap, vacation or 10 min break isn’t the ONLY way to rest your brain.
Listen Now this training on how Resting Brain State can help your brain even while you are at work.
Life is meant to be enjoyed and you are meant to feel good!
- 3 Kinds of Thoughts That Stress You out (And Shrink Your Brain) - December 6, 2018
- Is This Weighing down Your Brain? - October 30, 2018
- You’ll Never Find Balance Without This - October 29, 2018
- It Hit Me like a Ton of Bricks and I Had to Do It - October 8, 2018
- You Are Not Your Results - August 15, 2018
- Bloom Where You Are Planted - July 27, 2018
- Live Your Ideal Day Before It’s Too Late - July 24, 2018
- Make Peace with Urgency - July 9, 2018
- How to Handle Change - June 7, 2018
- When Your Emotions Get the Best of You - May 21, 2018